Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Diaries of a Dental Hygienist: Part I

Dear Patients,

Sometimes do you feel confused about where you should face, how big you should open your mouth, when to close your mouth? Let me tell you, whatever you're doing, STOP! If we tug to one side, do not turn that direction. It makes cleaning your teeth SO difficult! Pulling back the cheek gives me a better view, but if you turn towards me, it closes up the view I was trying to get. You may THINK you are helping, but usually you aren't. Then I feel lame telling you to move back, when you moved to try and help me, so I crane my neck WAY over to compensate...and then I have an achy back and I get cranky. Also, opening your mouth SUPER wide makes a muscle contract that makes it REALLY difficult to get inbetween your cheek and your molars. Calm down a little, and don't CRANK your mouth open. Thank you.

And I don't want to know why you didn't brush your teeth before your appointment. I've seen worse. Think 12 year old boy with braces and oreos(which I don't really know why that is worse to me than 12mm pockets with pus and blood coming out, but those oreos were really nasty looking). And if you really wanted to, you can always get a toothbrush and paste from us and go brush them right now. What I really want you to do? Stop smoking so I don't have to smell it the entire appointment. Thank you.

That is all for today, I'm sure I'll revisit this topic again.
Yours truly,
An achy, cranky, RDH that is really tired of all her patients having wisdom teeth today

No comments: