Sunday, June 28, 2009

What I'd do with 10 Grand

I have a feeling that I am VERY much like my father in some respects. One of these is that sometimes I feel utterly unsentimental, and when I ponder on this idea, I blame my whole feelinglessness on my father. Ever practical, pragmatic, father of mine. This was recently brought to my attention because I got my roommate's piano tuned for her, so that I can play it anytime I want---and be able to stand how it sounds, because before it was so incredibly terrible, off-pitch sounding, that I couldn't handle it. I was given a fabulous reference for a piano tuner, and he really did an amazing job. He knew exactly how old the piano was, that it used to be a player piano, and that the carvings on the piano made it really valuable. He himself, was a history lesson, and I spent a good three hours curled on the couch reading his autobiography while he tuned the piano. At first, he thought the piano was a lost cause, it was so old, so out of tune, and he thought he'd for sure break strings trying to bring it all the way back up to pitch. But he was fabulous, brought it up to pitch, and didn't harm the piano at all. But this is not at all what I wanted to talk about. Point of story: he told my roommate the piano was worth between 12,000-15,000 dollars. She just paid a whopping $850 for it. The first thoughts in my mind, were of course, historically based. I love history, I love imagining all that this piano lived through since it was built in 1910, and it is a really neat thought. But, poor, hungry college student that I am, I quickly turned my thoughts to all that I could do with the profit of selling this piano. I then related my deep thoughts to my good friend and manager at the hotel the next day. She was shocked at my lack of respect for such an antique item, and amazed that I wouldn't want to keep it around. I have to say this: I do value old items, I am a HUGE history lover, and it is in fact, my favorite subject. But I absolutely love my mom's piano, and it isn't ancient, or rebuilt, or anything of the sort. It's quite new, as far as piano's go, but I made amazing memories with that lovely piano, and maybe in a hundred years it'll be worth something---but only because I loved it so much. I don't know, I think it is neat, but I'd rather sell it. Then she told me she had her grandmother's china in her closet. Yes, that is a really neat thing, but whats the point of keeping china in your closet and never using it? Yes, your grandmother loved it, and it is very special---but if it is never used and never seen, whats the use? At least this piano you can continue to use! 

So: while I may be wholly unsentimental and callous, here is what I would do with 10 grand:

First and foremost, quit both jobs and move in with my parents for July and August. It's only two months of work, I'd only make a little over 1200 anyway, and sometimes I think people forget how important it is to make memories now---before you regret the many times you DIDN'T stop to make them. Plus, I'd be just in time for all of her garden harvesting, canning, freezing, cooking--and I could learn OH so much that I have previously avoided learning, and now badly want to know.

Secondly, although I have a year of school left, I would be hurting a LOT less to work, and so, depending on how hard classes are, I would definitely only be working part time in the school year, and not working at all if I wanted. Once again, this is the last year of my education, and there are lots of opportunities to participate in so much and enjoy so many memories that I will never be able to get back again. Is this senioritis? Or have I just LOVED my college experiences so much and wish I didn't have to work to make up for it????

Thirdly, I would put all the rest in the bank, to save for my wedding, the months I'm putting my husband through school, and maybe a SWEET honeymoon. 

Oh, and I would also buy a laptop and an ipod. I am losing good music because my cd's are so old and scratched---and its annoying when you need a computer and have to drive 15 minutes to a siblings because the library is closed. Not so annoying when I can't afford one, and definitely doable--but if I had 10 grand, might as well. 

I just really, really loved the idea of being able to spend two whole months riding horses with my dad, learning to cook from my mother, playing the piano, and hiking up the mountainside. Instead of spending an inane amount of hours selling people shoes and cleaning their hotel rooms for a ridiculously small amount of money. Not that I'm really complaining, because I know I am incredibly blessed to not only have one, but two jobs in this economy, and I really am happy that I can pay for so much, and I'm keeping my goal of getting my bachelors degree without going in debt. I think June was just a long month---and I am incredibly excited to take four days off in a couple weeks and spend it with my mother in Cedar City at the Shakespearian Festival! Yes!

So...what would you do with 10 grand?

1 comment:

Rockelle said...

I got 10 grand once...this is what I did. Paid off all my credit cards...paid off my van...
went truly on a great grocery shopping trip. Didnt budget or have a list. I bought everything I saw that looked good and really restocked....and then I also went to hawaii. with shawn, Rhett, Jenn, Kandi and Matt!
oh and bought a violin!
Soon you will be making excellent money as a hygienist. And you are a baby!
I am planning on going back to school and starting at the beginning really to also be a hygienist...and I am 39...Oh the though of it is already wearing me out!
LOL