Thursday, July 9, 2009

Shakespearean

So...I got to go to the Shakespeare Festival! The fun of it has kinda been knocked out of me, since I came straight home to Dad's office to write up two modules for dental hygiene before going to a clinic tomorrow, and then straight to work, and then to 16 more hours of work the next day, and then I have to play the organ and accompany a singer in church on Sunday! AGH!
But..the festival was absolutely fantastic! I got to be with my mom. We ate popsicles, read a book out loud to each other (that was started on the drive down to Cedar), watched plays, and slept. We went shopping one morning, but since I was there for a class, I actually had to attend not only every performance (the fun part!) but also every orientation for every performance and every literary seminar for every performance. They were SUPER interesting, and the audience was fairly entertaining, but that took four more hours out of every day that I was sitting writing papers, instead of spending lovely time with my mother. We did go shopping one morning, and I convinced my mother to buy TWO dresses that are absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and it just occurred to me that I should've taken pictures and posted, but now she's in Logan. Sigh. I also bought a $68 hoodie, for only twenty bucks, and I am absolutely in LOVE with it. The material pattern makes me think of Amy's diaper bag. The cute little purple flowers. I wish it wasn't summer so I could wear it EVERY day!
Mom and I both decided we loved The Secret Garden the VERY BEST--it was a musical, and both of us cried, and laughed, and cried, and were equally amazed at the absolutely incredible talent of the singers. I have always loved that book, but I have never seen it performed, and it was incredible. Our second favorite was Comedy of Errors, which was absolutely hilarious, and the cast was spontaneous enough to yell out at the crowd, and we'd yell back, and it was just really true fun. Our two favorite people, an actor and an actress, were in this play, and we scoured the other shows the rest of the time for their faces. Foxfire was good, Private Lives was hilarious and very good(probably my third favorite), and As You Like It was a perfect fairy tale happy ending story, and a great show to end our stay with. We also saw Henry V, and I just wish I had've done some research or some reading before this play, cause I think it was really well played, and the main King was an amazing actor and had some great speeches, but I just didn't follow it very well. At one point mom was all annoyed and leaned over and said "Do you know whats going on?" And I waved my hand "I don't know, the English are fighting the French" which was probably the only obvious thing happening, mom busted up laughing at me. But all in all, they were amazing, and it was a great opportunity!
We have already decided to make it a yearly trip, especially since next year they are doing Pride and Prejudice...and another one that I was excited about that I can't think of right now.

No comments: