Thursday, December 1, 2011

There arose such a clatter, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter!

Sterling woke up at 5:45ish this morning, and as he was getting ready the baby woke up (she had slept all the way from 8:30pm the night before! YAY!) so he brought her in to me to feed her. All of the sudden our apartment shook like we were in the middle of a tornado, so we both just listened for a minute, and then there was a huge SNAP! outside our window, and a bright burst of light. I was duly scared, and wondered what was going on. But, I fed my baby, Sterling went to the gym, we fell back asleep while he was gone, and woke up again when he came back. Then, we drove him to campus. On the way he got a phone call saying something about a "Code Purple" on campus, and to not leave and walk between any of the buildings. Sterling was a little confused...until we got out of our parking lot. (They cancelled all classes today)

There was debri all over the roads. The traffic lights were out. One had fallen completely off its pole. The street signs were wrapped around the poles they were on. As we continued on, it got much worse. There were so many uprooted trees by Weber State Credit Union (a short-cut we normally take to campus) that you could only drive one-way, so it wasn't much of a short-cut. Huge evergreen trees had toppled over, and taken half of the people's lawns up with the roots. Driving past some construction on campus there was more debri than ever. Sterling could hardly get out of the car to walk into the building. He called me straightaway upon getting into the library and told me to go straight home. Unfortunately, I had a 10am appointment, and was already on 25th street. On my way I saw several basketball hoops blown over, a few fences blown into the sides of houses, tons of branches broken off, and several more uprooted trees with the people's lawns mostly pulled up. Sterling heard that a tree landed on a car on Harrison Blvd, and that lots of windows got blown out. Lots of business signs were blown off and broken into smaller bits. I almost couldn't breathe walking into my appt, and kept a tight hold on the blanket over Ruth's face. After that though, it seemed to slowly get better, and by 2 pm the wind was mostly gone in our area. That was a mighty fierce wind!!!

Sterling's story from on campus: He has a friend that studies with them (well, he said he doesn't study with them, but he hangs around the people he studies Organic Chemistry with) and he was walking towards the library and saw a girl struggling to walk. So he went up and linked arms with her to help her get to the building. He was holding his laptop in his other arm. A HUGE gust of wind came, and he started to loose his grip on his laptop, so he let go of the girls hand and ran towards the library, when he turned around the girl had fallen, and the wind had actually made her skid along the pavement. The ambulance came and she had fractures on her arms (elbow? I can't quite remember) CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, I heard the ambulance all morning long in my apartment, because we live right next to McKay Dee Hospital.

So instead of running the BILLION errands I had (its the only day I can run errands this week due to work, babysitting, family party, ward party, etc. so it was quite a bummer) I made banana bread, regular bread, and chili. All turned out okay. Except Sterling wanted me to come pick him up this afternoon, and my bread ended up rising WAY too much in the pans, and it got a little scabacious looking. Oh well. Oh yeah, and the snap outside our window was a power line snapping. Lovely. There is still lots of power out in Ogden-Kaysville area (my bro-in-law lives a few blocks away and has no power, and my mother-in-law lives in Kaysville and has no power) and a lot of the traffic lights are still out. We, luckily, have our power.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

That is CRAZY! Wow. The weather is nutty everywhere. We just went through evacuations in Southern Alberta due to fires from the wind storms.....and our city's downtown here was shut down due to windows raining down glass from the high rises above.

P.S. My sister use to live in Kaysville. Lot's of memories there when we got the one chance to visit her.

Glad you guys are okay.