Saturday, January 28, 2012

Food Storage

Sterling and I have been talking about buying a utility shelf for a LONG time...and I convinced him to get it for our anniversary. Then I convinced him to get it early. And I LOVE it! And he loves it too. Really, he does. I almost think he likes it more than I do. He loved setting it up and then spent an entire Saturday morning helping me go through all our kitchen cupboards, closets, and underneath Ruth's crib to get everything organized, throw away our super-outdated stuff, and figure out what we need to really have some sort of a food supply for our little family. It was very interesting to pull everything out from underneath Ruth's crib, we had a LOT stashed under there, but some of our more useful items were more depleted than we had realized.
Here is our wonderful shelf! Beside it on the left is a fire-proof, water-proof safe that Sterling's brother gave us for Christmas. Also an exciting new thing to have! See that tobasco sauce on the top shelf? Sterling considers that our most important food storage investment.


Eventually I want to invest in a couple more of these, but for right now, I use flour, rice, and beans the most (well, kinda beans, we're working on that) so that is what I have stored. I'd like one for white sugar, so I could move my brown sugar into the bigger white sugar canister.


Look at all that wonderful applesauce and peaches and pears that my wonderful mother helped me can! I  thought I had more applesauce, but when we pulled it out of our closet I realized I need to make some more this fall!


This is the opposite side of the room. So our teeny, tiny second bedroom can hold a beautiful little baby girl side, and a fully functioning food storage side. Haahaa, gotta love it!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Yay for food storage! I LOVE the shelf we have, ours is in the kitchen, so right now it's not strictly food storage, the food storage is shared between the shelf and the floor of the pantry, but close enough. :) Big shelves like that are definitely a good investment.