Saturday, January 5, 2019

Grace Cindy Haws


A random nurse said we looked adorable and insisted she take a picture and send it to us. Haha. I really, really loved this hospital!

This delivery was a little bit crazy. The hospitals and doctors *really* don't like it when you go into labor before 37 weeks. I had Will and Molly at 37 weeks and Russ at 36 weeks and 4 days. So it didn't feel that crazy when I started having contractions that wouldn't go away on Friday night and it was 36 and 4 days. When they started to get painful we headed into the hospital. But they wanted to stop my labor and give baby more time in my tummy. When labor stopped, I was dilated to a 5, which is a high risk for infection, so then they wanted me to stay at the hospital. In the meantime, they gave me the 2 steroid shots to help babies lung development--which is great, maybe that is what all of this was for!

I spent all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in the hospital not really doing much except stressing about finding babysitters for my four kids at home and trying to manage that. Luckily, mom flew in first thing Monday morning and took care of that ship--and we literally put her right to work. I think Sterling said she walked in about 630am after a red eye flight and immediately fed kids and got everyone ready for school, did two school drop-offs, later did pick-ups and swimming lessons and pretty much ALL the mom things. I have no idea what we would have done without her. Literally. She is an overworked grandma, and someday I hope we get her back to ENJOY instead of just work--but I could not be more grateful. I had the hardest time being in the hospital doing nothing while everyone else was trying to cover. Having mom was such a relief because she does a better job than me, so no more stress haha. Love you so much, mom!
 

Monday afternoon Dr Swartzlander told me that they still don't like to induce 37 week babies, but they didn't want to keep me at a 5 (which was now a 6 and bleeding). So he stripped my membranes and came back an hour later to me having contractions and dilated to a 7. It was already late, 630ish, so they got everything going. It always takes a bit to get nurses in and machines and whatever else. They started me on pitocin to keep my contractions going regular and things were getting a little painful, plus I didn't want to MISS getting an epidural, especially since I was already at a 7, so we got the epidural going. I really hate getting those things. It's the worst. But it felt really nice afterward! He broke my water and said the baby was right there. So they got everything ready, I looked around and said "This is so calm. It feels surreal." (nothing like a non-epidural, crazy 30 minute delivery that we've had before!) I pushed literally once, with some big breaths...and she was out! They found a true knot in her umbilical cord so she is our little miracle baby!

The hospital experience has been amazing. I have loved it so much (hospitals can be nice! What a change from Miami!) but my nurse at delivery and afterwards was especially amazing. I love you Brenda! The hospital is 'baby friendly' so they don't do a bath or stats or anything right away, you just get to hold your baby. She latched right on and there were no complications afterwards. Looking back, we took zero pictures. It was late, they let the room stay dark, and Sterling and I had the sweetest, calmest few hours with our little baby. It was such a precious night. I loved everything about it and it was perfect in every way. Just wish I would have thought about pictures more! But then maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed the moment so much, so I guess it's okay.

She was 5 pounds 15 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long. Born at 10:34pm with tons of thick, black hair. We just enjoyed and enjoyed and enjoyed--and I was so happy I had an epidural where I could just sit and soak it all in and not feel anything! I only had the epidural in for not quite 2 hours.

She is beautiful and perfect and that late night holding her with Sterling was such a beautiful and magical time. I am so grateful everything was so healthy and uncomplicated!



















Haha I love this picture and her double chin!!!












Mom brought the kids to see her. They were thrilled. There is nothing as cute as an 18 month old whose voice goes all high pitched when he's looking at a tiny baby. It's just that natural. Everyone loved her and was so excited. Sterling came right then after his rotation, which was good, because Russ was a little much for a hospital room.

The rest was uneventful She failed the first carseat test, but passed the second time. Failed two hearing tests and I had to take her in this week, but she passed this time. The hospital was amazing. They have a don't disturb time for about three hours every afternoon where they don't bother patients unless they absolutely have to. I slept so much! Haha. Mom kept the swimming lessons, Christmas programs, pajama day, and homework all moving forward at home. Sterling brought me home late so the kids were already in bed, which was nice too, so that they weren't crazy excited and we could just go to sleep. 

I have spent a LOT of time just sitting and holding her. With every baby you learn more and more how absolutely fleeting the newborn stage is and while it's still real life and you still are recovering and engorged and all the lovely things (thank you epidural for blocking the pain, but I wish I would have felt my legs a bit more so I didn't pull/push in a weird fashion and have horribly sore inner thigh muscles for the next two weeks, ruff.) there is nothing comparable to a newborn. I just want to sit and hold her forever and ever. And get her to sleep for longer than two hours a stretch at night. That would be nice, too. 











We love you Grace and are so so happy you are part of our family!!!!

No comments: