Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Politics

When I was in high school I got really excited about politics for awhile. I went to a one-week camp (which later gave me something like 8 credit hours for college and it was awesome!) after eleventh grade called Girls State, and we spent the ENTIRE week in a skirt (bless my mother, who bought me a pair of skechers that were cute and could be worn with a skirt and still look nice...every other girl had blisters by the second day)learning about the government. It was extremely educational, extremely fun and exhilarating, and I ran and was voted in mayor of my city (basically the group of girls living in one apartment for the week) and got to hold councils, meetings, determine offices, and...my personal favorite...put people in jail when they were late to my meetings. So we goofed off a bit, but for the most part, everything was run as the government really is run. We also spent a LONG LONG time discussing current government bills and policies that had recently passed, were in the process of being passed, or were simply issues at the time. I felt really up-to-snuff on my government, and I felt like a responsible US citizen.

Sadly, thats pretty much where it ended. I went to college, focused my life on anatomy books, had a random English teacher that took a really weird stance about Iraq and thats all the current events he ever talked about, and basically forgot about my citizenship just enough to pass through college (although I did start listening to some debates, and I did vote for my very first time, and listened enough to feel decent about my votes).

Now, I work for a doctor who has strong political views, and his assistant who has opposite, but also strong, political views. I get to hear their banter back and forth whenever I'm at work. And its made me aware enough to be sheepish about how much I don't know right now. Because a lot is happening.

Point of this post, though, is to beg the question: Do I really have to agree with a political change to take advantage of it? Cause really, if the laws already been passed, and there's nothing I can do about it...whether I think it's a good thing or not, I might as well take advantage of it...right????

Point in case, Obama's health care plan. Basically he's not helping anything. Thats the basics that I am led to understand because of the doctor's viewpoints that I hear, and the few articles that I have read...I cannot claim having a HUGE and EXTENSIVE knowledge about this. But, Sterling and I went without insurance for a year because, well, we plain can't afford it. And we both had access to the WSU clinic, and that was about all we needed. Now we qualify for medicaid, and I feel like I defend myself every time I bring that up. I will again, if need be. I have a bachelors degree, but I also believe it is my responsibility as a woman and as a wife to start a family, and it is also the highest pedestal in life that I could personally attain. If we waited to be financially able to afford a child, I would be well into my thirties, and the probability of my health handling having as many kids as I want, at that old of an age, would not be great. Plus, I've spent four years of my life gaining a bachelors degree, and I utilize it to help people on a part-time basis. Unfortunately, it will be years before Sterling is finished school. Fortunately, when he is, we will probably pay so much money just for his malpractice insurance, that I am sure the government will get back every little bit that they are giving us while we have this baby. While I'm young, healthy, and very able to have a baby.

Now though, Obama has made it so that I can be insured through my parents and Sterling can be insured through his parents. Since both of our parents still have some of our younger siblings on their insurance, it is no extra cost to them. And we are, thankfully, insured, after a year of not being insured. But just because I am utilizing it, doesn't mean I think it was this great idea. I am just very thankful that we have found a way to be insured for the time being. Not for very long, probably, because we'll have children of our own, and they might not be covered. Anyway, that is my story. I just heard someone get really heated today about how unfair it is, because she's been paying $400 a month for insurance since she was twenty for herself....and I agree that people need to act responsibly. But I also agree that opportunities should be seized. Now everyone can read this and hate me. And I will reread this and vow to seriously step up my understanding of current events.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Everyone has things that come up that are unfair to them. It's how life works. I agree with you. We're going back on our parents insurance as well! We don't have younger siblings, but we'll just pay our parents the difference of what it would cost them to have us on the plan. I think it's important to do the best you can to support yourself, but it's also important to do what you feel is right. We were paying for health insurance, but it will be so much less to be back on our parents insurance. I'm with you, may as well take advantage of what's already a law! :P