Friday, June 10, 2011

Safety Anyone?

Macey's (my all-time favorite store) had a free car seat check this afternoon. I got a free car seat and base from my sis-in-law, and she gave us two, because she had twins, and thought it might be nice for us to have two around. But my friend still needed one, so we gave the second one to her, and she told me that she had a hard time trying to fit it into her car, it was really loose. She couldn't make it to the check, so I went (we both have Chevy Impala's...which made it really nice because then I was going with the same car and same car seat) to figure out what was wrong. Come to find out, there was a recall on our base (and, actually, they expire in October, but I'm not too worried about that. If they were safe last year, they're going to be safe for another year, trust me.) and we'll get a brand-new one for free!!! I love free stuff. They did say its safe to use without the base, and showed me precisely how to put it in with a seat belt and no base.

The nice people were VERY concerned about safety, and I realized that...I may be a first-time mom, but I have a lot of experience with kids, and some of the stuff they said, I realized I will never do. Not because I don't want my child to be safe, but because I think its a bunch of balogna. For instance, I had a nice, new toy snapped into place around the handle of the car seat--the kind that you pull on, and it makes noise as it jiggles back up. My nieces and nephews have had tons of variations of these toys, and it keeps them occupied every once in a while. They told me that it was unsafe to have any toys hooked to the handle because they have not been checked with the specific car seat and in the event of an accident, they could become a flying projectile. I am sorry, but I think I'll take my chances of a soft, squishy toy hitting my child's face and doing them zero permanent damage, and let them have a toy to keep them occupied. Thanks, but no thanks. They also were really upset about the fact that I had an extra little padding sitting inside the car seat, which my older sister Megan thoughtfully handed down to me. They think its safer to roll up blankets and put it around my child...because then I can tell that the straps are tight enough and not loose. I don't quite understand, because padding is padding, and I already know I'm not going to take the time to wrap blankets into little balls and smoosh them around my child EVERY TIME I put her in a car seat. And I think that the padding is small enough I can move it around and still make sure the straps are tight and where they should be around my baby. It's not like its a big huge balloon or anything. Haahaa.

So maybe I should be a little more cautious--the people helping me definitely thought so. What with the recall, and the toy and the padding, they thought I was a first-time mom that needed some SERIOUS help. At the end of all this, they asked me if I was used to having kids in my car at all, or if I had previously installed a car seat into my vehicle...I told them I have 34 nieces and nephews, and that I put my niece Devaney's car seat in my car on about a weekly basis. Their faces were absolutely PRICELESS!!!!!!! Yeah, 34 is kind of a big number. For Megan's reassurance though, they did say I put the car seat in very thoroughly and at a good angle. So at least I knew how to put it in right!

I did learn something cool about my seat belts though-they lock in a nifty way once the car seat is in, something I can use for my niece Devaney-and when I do get the base, I have these special little latches that come out of my seats so I can attach that instead of using a seat belt. And with the car I have, I can put my child safely in any of the three seats in the back. Good to know. Anyway---I have a feeling these poor people wouldn't approve of the crib that we just set up (we are very happy it is free though, and I consider it in very good shape) because my sister bought it off ksl, and gave it to us for free, so who KNOWS when it expires?? Probably similar things with a lot of the items we have. I'm concerned about safety....but not that concerned. Haahaa

6 comments:

Jenifer said...

There is such a thing as too safe. I've seen parents make their kids neurotic by being overly protective. Like my dad said, if it ain't bleeding or broken, you're fine. :)

Aleesha Burke said...

Your crib is expired. They were all recalled like that. Just to answer the question you didn't care to know the answer to.

The Haws Family said...

Haahaa Aleesha--Chantelle and I were talking about that yesterday, because both of our cribs are like that.

Aleesha Burke said...

Just be careful and know there are reasons for some things they recommend. Life happens I realize; however, we should do what we can to be safe and prevent injury. Don't forget this is what I am studying in school! :)

Megan said...

I am glad to know officially that my kids are safe when they are with you!!

Megan said...

The crib I used for my first 5 kids was given to me in ND by a family that had used it to raise their five kids. I would say it was very expired. But worked great.