Monday, November 14, 2011

Exhilarating Joys

Several of the conference talks, and the fact that it is almost Thanksgiving and the Christmas season, have made me want to post about all the things I am grateful for. In the Relief Society Meeting Pres. Uchtdorf said "forget not to be happy now". I am an incredibly blessed and happy person...most of the time. "There is nothing wrong with righteous yearnings...the problem comes when we put our happiness on hold as we wait for some future event." I don't think I'm necessarily waiting for some future event (the end of Sterling's undergraduate, the end of medical school, the end of living in an apartment, the end of having to work....etc, etc.) because I am very happy right now, but I think it will be good to "forget not the "why" of the gospel."
       "Sometimes, in the routine of our lives, we unintentionally overlook a vital aspect of the gospel of Jesus Christ, much as one might overlook a beautiful, delicate forget-me-not...the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the "why." When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet...Let us not walk unaware of the beauty of the glorious earthly and spiritual landscapes that surround us...seek out the majesty, the beauty, and the EXHILARATING JOY of the "why" of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

The things I am thankful for, I am thankful for because of the gospel, and the joy that it brings into every aspect of my life. My family, my eternal relationship with my husband, my passion for being a mother, my joy in every day living, are all due to my life being completely founded upon my faith and my religion-and the choices that they lead me to make.

*Monday I got to get together with almost all of my sisters while we got invitations ready to send out for my older sister's wedding. It was a very fun night, and I am very blessed to have such wonderful sisters, and such a wonderful mother.
*At work I got put in charge of making a menu-plan for healthy snacks in our office. I love my job as a dental hygienist, and was somewhat annoyed to have a different job assignment...turns out I love having an unlimited budget to spend!
*Thursday morning Ruth slept long enough that I could take a long bath, shave my legs, paint my toenails, and feel a little bit prettier than I have felt lately.
*Friday was AMAZING because Sterling and I got to take my sister's six, plus our one baby, to Disney on Ice!!! I got them all out of school early, and no one even knew why! It was so much fun for it to be a secret, and especially fun to watch my seven-year-old niece's jaw drop every time a princess came on the ice. I have never seen it before, but it was AMAZING! (Post with pictures to follow)
*Sterling got really sick on Sunday, its the only time he's ever thrown up since we got married, getting close to two years ago now. When I got home from church he had a 102 degree temp and was one sick boy. I am so thankful for our health and that sickness is a rarity in our home.
*This morning I woke up to a battle between Sterling's whistles, and my daughter's shrieks. It was absolutely hilarious, so I recorded it (hopefully a post will follow). My daughter seems to have found out how to manipulate her own vocal cords over the weekend, and has since been providing us with endless amusement while she continues to figure out how high of pitches she can reach!!!
*Sterling did the dishes while whistling with our daughter. Best morning ever! Plus it meant he was feeling SO MUCH better! Yay for a healthy and happy husband!
*Today we put up our Christmas tree and decorations! It brightens up our little apartment so much, and our singing-Christmas-tree-lights, along with Charlie Brown Christmas,are two traditions that my husband has added to my own traditions, and they are definitely worthwhile additions!

This beautiful week of November has been so fabulous!

No comments: