Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eggs


  • Sometime during my childhood, my little brother Ethan -who often thought of conniving ideas to get what he wanted- convinced my parents that we should get one food to pick that we never had to eat. My parents are strong supporters of the "eat everything off your plate without complaining" (to the point that when my older brother Wyatt threw up some green beans, my dad made him eat a couple more). My mom decided this was a good idea, and so my brother Wyatt chose green beans, obviously, and I chose eggs. My little brother Ethan, on the other hand, picked something new every other week for the rest of his life and mom never seemed to mind.



  • I hated eggs, especially soft ones. I didn't like pepper that much either, and I was not a big fan of big slimey onions and green peppers. But eggs trumped them all, and it was the one food I would not eat. Sometimes mom made me German Pancakes in the morning just because it made her feel better that I was getting mostly eggs from that (I think that that breakfast is mostly powdered sugar, but I liked the idea that she thought I was getting something nutritious from it). I especially hated when we had poached eggs on toast for dinner, which luckily, wasn't very often. Those were the slimiest, worst tasting eggs, and I was very grateful once the one-food-rule was instituted.



  • Lately, I have found myself changing my mind about eggs. They say your tastebuds change every seven years, right??? I still don't love scrambled eggs...but I'm getting more used to the idea of soft eggs. In fact, I've had several of them this week. Sterling has made a few noises about how much we've had hashbrowns lately, and when its not hashbrowns its rice. All I can say is, I think my dad warned him about that at their little talk before we got married, and again at our reception!!!! Besides, when a starving, pregnant wife comes home from work completely FAMISHED he should be thankful she takes the fifteen minutes to put together a quick meal, instead of bringing home Pizza Hut Breadsticks every day, which is what I feel like doing, right???? (Not that I can REALLY complain, since he made tacos this week, and puts my cream of wheat on to boil every morning)



  • Back to the original subject matter: To spice up our hashbrowns, I've been trying to make more things to go with them...sausage, eggs, toast, mangoes...whatever happens to be in the fridge really. And this means we've gone through a lot of eggs lately. I make bread, and brownies, and other things that use eggs pretty regularly, but beyond that-since I never ate them plain-we didn't use eggs a whole lot. Today I came home from church, and since Sterling is at work anyway, and can't complain, and I was STARVING, I quickly made some hashbrowns. And an egg. It was our last one. And it tasted especially good. But now I can't make the brownies I wanted to tonight. Sigh. Although I think we have all the ingredients for chex muddy buddies...so I might live.

No comments: