Saturday, February 25, 2012

Musings from Babysitting


My niece, Danica, and I had a discussion about whether or not I am qualified as an adult. Apparently I did not act like an adult until I had a baby (thanks, Danica, haahaa). Upon further dances around the kitchen, Danica concluded that I STILL do not qualify as an adult. Previously, my nephew has commented that my white and black plaid vans are not shoes fit for a 'mom' to be wearing. I am starting to wonder if they planned to sabotage the rest of my young life?

I have a bachelors degree in dental hygiene. I am married. I have a baby girl. I buy our groceries. I do our laundry. I feed our baby. I make meals. I make bread. I clean the house. I get up EVERY night with our baby girl. I go to work. Are not these qualifications for adulthood?

Honestly, I don't feel it. I don't feel like an adult. Even at work, where I feel completely skillful and capable. I still just feel like some kid that has learned some stuff and has set tasks in front of me.

Sterling commented to me that he feels that way with the research project he is working on. He came up with the idea, but everything has to be marked my professors, discussed with professors, read by professors, and mentored by professors. "Sometimes, I sit back, and I can't believe that I am doing something this BIG, I never thought I would, but in the midst of it, its just what I'm doing."

Amen. If I look back on all the things I learned in college, everything I apply at work every day, I know its a big deal. When I look at my marriage to my wonderful hubby I know its a big deal. When I look at my beautiful little baby girl, I know its a big deal. There's no moment though that makes you feel like an adult, and I'm sure thats why I remember dancing around the kitchen with 'adult' sisters singing with wooden spoons to a soundtrack of princess songs. I'm sure thats how its going to be my whole life.

On that note, here's some pictures of the wonderful cake Sterling made me for turning TWENTY-THREE! Can you believe it?!?!?!?:
Yes, unfortunately I am wearing pajama pants for the picture.  



1 comment:

Lynn said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

And yes.....I think you are onto something.....it's such a mean trick when I walk by a mirror and suddenly realize that I AM an adult....when seriously I don't think that inside we ever do feel like that.

Peter Pan really knew what he was talking about. lol.