Saturday, January 13, 2018

Gumbo Limbo

 When we moved here we heard that the coolest place to take little kids is Gumbo Limbo Nature Center. We heard it from soooo many people. But somehow, we didn't make it until over the break. We had the entire first week of January off to enjoy (the weather was rainy and cold--which meant a lot of inside time relaxing and enjoying being home) but we made it out a couple of times. We definitely want to go back soon--it was raining so we didn't get to see the butterfly exhibit. But all of the aquariums were unreal!


This is a turtle rehab area. Students from a nearby university in marine biology come and do coursework here. This turtle was getting vaccinated. Our favorite was Kraken. He was rescued when he got chopped in the face by a boat propeller. He is 192 POUNDS!!!! It was unreal!!! But after taking the above photo I got in trouble for taking pics, oops!, so I didn't get a picture of any of the other massive saved sea turtles. But it was definitely a highlight of the facility!

Sting ray. The aquariums are so cool! There were also some barracudas--I haven't ever seen them pointed out to me (there was a nice lady there helping us look for all the things on the kids' scavenger hunt page) and they are pretty shark-like.




King Lobster. My camera couldn't focus through the glass, but this thing was AWESOME.

This is where all the university students do their testing on the little sea turtles. I read all the plaques but now I can't remember. Something to do with finding easier ways to determine male or female sea turtles? Right now they can't find out until they are adults--weird, eh?
This is when the kids spotted the eel. I've never seen an eel up close and personal and this one was BIG and nasty looking. Maybe I just think it looks nasty because I am influenced by Princess Bride's shrieking eels? Either way--they aren't pretty.
The kids LOVED it and we can't wait to go back! It was such a fun way to spend a morning!

1 comment:

Kami said...

I think it's awesome that you go to so many places around you that are so unique to Florida--that's good you take so much advantage of it. Way cool!