Thursday, February 8, 2018

Captain America Birthday Party!

This park is on our street. Less than half a block away from our house. So it seemed the most ideal way to hold a party--that way we can just walk everything over. I was nervous it would rain--but luckily the weather was overcast and a beautiful 75 degrees which was PERFECT! Will was thrilled. He was also a typical 4/5 year old. Which means, we had a few bumps and a whole lotta "why are we even doing this??" but it's all he's talked about ever since, so I think it was worth it! :)

We had two kinds of popcorn, made by our trusty air popper that has been servicing my popcorn needs since the day my dad handed it to me and I moved out ten years ago, ha! We had nerf guns for everyone with an empty pop bottle and an empty gallon of milk jug to use as targets. We had paper to make Captain America paper airplanes with, we had mini frisbees to decorate Captain America shields with, and then bubbles to please everyone---all servicing as the party favors to take home. The nerf guns were a hit. The kids played and played and played with them. But honestly, they mostly just ran around the playground playing together.
This was my very first 'friend' birthday party--with invitations going to kids and school and church. It felt nerve-wracking. The kids just played and played and played. Ran around the playground. Blew bubbles. Played tag and hide and go seek and imaginary games. All in all, I think it was great! I did think more of them would take time to make their Captain America shield and paper airplane. But only my kids did and the other girls. I forget sometimes that other kids don't sit for HOURS after school and color like my kids do. Of course, I spent the entire party trying to decide if I should call the kids in and actually make it a structured time-table of activities, or just let them play. Mostly, I was wondering about the parents standing there and what they thought about me holding a party at a park and just letting the kids play tag the entire time. Which is why I find children's parties incredibly stressful--because my approach is definitely different than the norm of today's society and expectations, and it all makes me a little on edge and nervous that I'm doing it wrong. BUT Will had a great time, played with his friends, and celebrated his birthday and we all survived--so it is a strong WIN in my book!

First shot at the target.

Lining up to have a go at the target.

Ruthie and Edison's older sister Anabelle were so cute coloring together. They are both in Kindergarten at Banyan Creek but. not in the same class.

Almost everyone we invited was from Will's class at First United Methodist Pre-K.

Very happy birthday boy.



Directly beside him is his good friend Holden and beside Holden is Leon. They are the other two boys at his class at school-and they are all really good friends.


Opening presents!


The little boy in the black is his new friend Edison from Ruth's school drop-off and pick-up. And the girl in the heart dress is Peyton, from his class at school. All the rest of the kids were siblings.
They are the weirdest.

I made that with him. I feel like I went up a level in my lego skills. It was intense, but also awesome. Four of his five presents were legos (and the other was a nerf gun...we definitely have more boy toys around this house now!) and they were all these little kits that you create. He has been in heaven with dad (and the one I helped with) putting them together.








All the faces were happy faces. I think his Captain America Birthday Party was a success! Happy 5th birthday Will! I can't believe how big he is! He keeps talking all week about his party and what he got and his friends who came---so I think he loved it!

1 comment:

Kami said...

Looks like it was awesome! Seriously, if he loved it and the other kids had fun, who cares what the other parents thought?!?!?