Thursday, February 22, 2018

Portuguese Man-O-War

I needed to clean my house after all our sick days, but instead we went to the beach. And it was the right choice. The wind meant that it didn't feel nearly as hot, it was refreshing and relaxing and gorgeous. Surprisingly, there were red flags set about every ten feet just off the shore. These flags were different than the ones at the lifeguard stations that tell whether there is a rip current or high waves or animal life. Turns out, they were to warn against HUNDREDS of Portuguese Man-o-War that were hanging out all along the beach and in the water. So we didn't really get in the water, but we found a spot with relatively few beached jelly fish to watch out for and still had a wonderful time in the sand. 

The kids spent the majority of their time making 'cakes' in their buckets. Will had to sit in time out for a while and piled sand on his legs while he was sitting there. When I told him he could get out, he said "do you want a bite of my cake?" and I said "You made a cake?" and he gets this sparkle in his eye and says "Yeah, I call it  my Buried Man Cake." and he gestures to his legs. BAAHAAHAA I was laughing so hard. First off, that he called himself a man, second off, that he knew it was hilarious as he said it to me.
These things are so crazy to see sitting all along the beach. From a distance it looks like someone left air-filled plastic bags all over and didn't clean up. They are so pretty though! I did look it up and it will still sting if you pop the outer layer when they are beached like that. So it's a good thing we stayed away!


It was SOOOOOO pretty! The water was this incredible turquoise color that just took my breath away every time I looked at it!















1 comment:

Kami said...

Those look fake or from some scifi movie. Weird.....