Thursday, November 19, 2009

1A Patients

You have to have two 1A patients this semester, and I have waited until the day before our last day of clinic to fit them in----but it went pretty well. The patients were a family from my home ward in Hyrum and it was a five year old girl and three year old boy. They requested nitrous right off---which threw me just a little because I haven't set it up by myself before. So after a few seconds, I remembered how easy it was, and with a little strength help from Prof. Costley I had it hooked up to my unit and we were smooth sailing. On nitrous the kids were as happy and giggly as could be--they've had a lot of dental work done in the past, and the little girl could tell when I had turned off the nitrous and was pretending with oxygen---it was pretty hilarious. Prof. Costley had me disclose both of them, and since I have not done that at all this semester, it was actually a really good experience. I think it made things go faster as well, because kids are mostly plaque and I could tell the areas to focus on right off.
Two 1A pts are always a little crazy because then mom and baby brother/sister have to sit chairside, and it feels squished, and then you put the nitrous stand in there as well, and it just felt a little claustrophobic---but our lab coat makes me feel claustrophobic, so I guess thats not saying much! Haahaa, but I am glad I got to see them, they were super great kids, kept their mouths open and didn't complain at all, and they were happy with their blown-up pink and blue gloves! Yay for another day down and we're almost to the end of the semester! Yay!

No comments: