Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Class II's

My patients today were rough-ish. I had a patient scheduled for this morning that I was crossing my fingers was a class II. She couldn't come because it was blizzarding outside. But...there was a patient in the waiting room scheduled with a girl who didn't come in cause she was sick, and he was really annoyed and still wanted to be treated. So I saw him. He was a Class V, but so close to a Class II. Talk about biofilm. Remember the cottage cheese pictures from first year? Yeah. That about sums it up. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to eat my lunch. But then Sterling brought me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I remembered how ravenous I was.
Second patient of the day---thought he was an adult, turned out he was 15, and so there were a lot of double/extra signatures going on. But...even without bone loss, because he is so young...he is definitely mock board material. So after taking four bitewings, and then doing OD, I went back and took 8 PA's of all his mandibular teeth. Then...DRUM ROLL....I did my first injections of the semester, ASA, MSA, PSA, and he was numb right away!!!! That could've been because Dr. Naylor basically held my hand as I went into each injection, and I'm not even sure I could tell you where the insertion points are supposed to be. Sigh. But I'm happy I got to do that. I just did his upper left quad...and it was quite the experience. Its always amazing to me how teeth can be so dissimilar from patient to patient. I think because he is so much younger than the class II's you'd see at the VA, he had the same calculus chunking off from beneath his gums, but his gums were much more edematous and rolled.
So today:
four quads of a class V
4 conv. BW
8 conv. PA's
1 quad of class II
THREE INJECTIONS
1 PE

I feel very good about today. And only one missed piece between both patients. I need to remember that my SN135's can't reach all the way through larger interproximal spaces.

No comments: