Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Frazzled

Can I just say OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! Today was insane. I felt like a rushed crazyperson.
I had four patients scheduled in hopes of a Board patient. I didn't sleep all night last night because I was so worried that if one of them didn't work out, I WOULD NOT HAVE A PATIENT FOR MY FINAL LICENSING EXAM!!!! Poor Sterling, I kept him awake half the night too because I was so upset.

My first patient, hadn't been in to have her teeth cleaned in over 10 years. She was borderline class II, but they called her a 1B. Ouch. I did have fun with her lingual bars though, she had an upper and a lower, and HOLY CALCULUS! So at least that was good.

Then, Alyse, being the angel that she is, switched me patients, took my Class V and I did a full mouth xray on her patient, where one of his quads qualified for Board. So at least I had a foot in the door, but he was definitely not ideal, and I was sketchy about the whole idea.

My patient shows up in the afternoon...solid Class III, which I am DYING for...but too many carious lesions to qualify for boards. ARGH! So I rescheduled her, and brought her daughter into the chair. Can I just say PERFECT BOARD PATIENT! I felt like praying right then---I was SO grateful!!!

So I went off to take a full mouth of xrays on her. Only it was an adventure because there were no correct xrays kits, of the ones we werent issued and so WSU is supposed to provide, so I had to get creative and put tape on other kinds and things to get it to work. But...amazingly enough, no retakes! Unfortunately, it didn't catch her wisdom teeth, so we ended up taking a panoramic, which was fun because I TOTALLY didn't realize that WSU had scanx panoramic! YEEHAW!

Then I wanted to clean a quad of my Board patient, just so I knew what to expect. Yup, she'll need anesthesia, and so it was a good experience. I actually didn't clean the full quad, I only went to the canine. But it went well. I am pumped.

Then they called pod wrap. My unit hadn't been cleaned at all, I hadn't even put my instruments in the ultrasonic. And then they offered to help us sharpen instruments, which I totally wanted to do. So.....I ended up cleaning my unit at FIVE O'CLOCK AT NIGHT when everyone had left. Sigh.

Good points of today beyond the frazzlement:
-Two full mouths, I only need 3 more PA's
-Screened 8 quads of a class III plus Alyse gave me 2 quads, which REALLY helps, and means I only need five more quads
-FOUND A BOARD PATIENT
-did an eaglesoft on my 1B this A.M. now I just have to fill out the paperwork

So. All in all, it was probably the most productive clinic day of my life. Lets just not repeat it. I might not live. Thank everyone for Michelle, who gives me chocolate and water. I love her.

No comments: