Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cabin 2012

I like most of Jenny's friends, but I really like Ali (sp?). She hung out with us all day at Bridget's wedding. And she is in LOVE with Ruth's red hair. She was a lot of fun to have with us at the cabin. Even if they DO squeal like 16 yr old girls when they are together, which might have added to Ruth's crankiness on this trip.
Married...two weeks? Aww. Sweet, young love.

So, one of Marlowe's eyes are half closed. But it was the only picture I had of Brandon.

The first night at the cabin we had the traditional tinfoil dinners. I always bring my own can of cream of mushroom soup. They eat theirs with bbq sauce. I'm just used to my ways. The 'boys' spent most of the evening doing manly wood-chopping.

Ruthie enjoyed relaxing in her own kid-sized camping chair.

Sterling was a hottie, as always.

Ruthie was ready for bed right about now. But I made her live through a few photos.

We tried cheering her up.

She decided to keep eating her spoon instead of smiling.

Sterling and I went on a hike Saturday morning and it was GORGEOUS!

Ruthie fell asleep, sweet bear.

It turned out to be a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY cold weekend. We kept Ruth in pretty much every layer of clothing we had brought. With big fuzzy pajamas over top. 
That table top toy behind her? I think it amused the 8-10yr old crowd just as much as it amuses Ruthie, and everyone was a LITTLE done with the noises it made by the end of the trip.

You would never know it was 6:30AM and we had just got the fire going and were trying not to slowly FREEZE to death by Marlowe's serene expression.

One way to not freeze to death is by huddling together. Ethan got his casts off (by tub soaking methods) half-way through the trip. I think we all decided they were a little dirty. Look at how good his fingers look!

More fun while trying to stay warm.

This is the second day after the snowfall. It was a much bigger snowman when it was made. Props to Sterling for being a man and hunting for firewood while we all huddled inside and prayed for instantaneous heat.

The snow. Somewhere in that snow is the fire pit we cooked our tinfoil dinners on the first night. 

We were trying to leave, but the boys couldn't figure out how to turn the water off. We hadn't been given instructions because usually they leave it on when it warms up. We deemed snow on the ground to be a sure sign of it NOT warming up.
Basically, we had a wonderful time. It snowed, we were very unprepared, but to our delight we played games inside by the crackling fire all day long, and ate popcorn and watched movies by night. The hard part was keeping Ruth bundled enough and far enough away from the fire while still keeping her warm. Plus, she was having some issues that only prunes can help, but we did not have prunes until the third day, when Sterling got back from working a shift. The day before the prunes was the worst. I think Cade was unimpressed by Ruthie's screaming abilities, and has now probably decided no kids is the way to go. I almost learned how to play poker. I did learn what clubs and spades were (I know, shame on me). And I did win at Dominion. Twice. So there Marlowe. (He had won every single game up to that point). It was a wonderful weekend, and I'm glad we were able to fit it in.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I love the pic of Ruth asleep in the backpack on your hike...she's darling!