Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spoiled and Giving Kids a Smile

Pretty much I am spoiled rotten and I love it. So I already posted about my lovely red cowboy boots (they haven't arrived yet, hence no pictures. Apparently they weren't ordered, but in recompense they are coming straight to my parent's house---yay!!!) and then mom proceeded to give me RED tupperware measuring cups, spoons, a little container for sauces, and best of all a RED peeler. I love it. But best, best, best of all....I GOT A TOOL BOX!!!!!!! I don't really know if I want to be twenty at all....but it is sure reassuring to know that I now own a toolbox. Maybe I can fix my own bike now without calling.....we'll just leave it at that :).

Not only was I crazy spoiled for my birthday, but I had the BEST weekend EVER!!!! It started out Friday morning with going to the Draper Temple Open House with my best friend Aleesha, her roommate Jessica, and Jessica's mom. The temple was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I loved every little bit of it. I wanted to move in. There was an amazing spirit there, and I just can't wait to go through! Then I headed to Provo and spent the entire afternoon with Aleesha. Not doing anything really, and it felt WONDERFUL! I didn't move my backpack from its spot in the car, I didn't think about it, I didn't worry about undone homework....it was absolutely blissful. After sleeping through most of Robin Hood, I drove home only to wake up and help with Give Kids A Smile.

This is a program that WSU has been doing for four years now, where the second week of February on a Saturday they do as much dental work as they can on a kid right then, for free. Absolutely free. Dentists just volunteer their time, students take xrays, work on sterilization of the instruments so we have enough continually being cleaned, front desk area, and cleaning the teeth and once we had an okay from the dentist we could do sealants. Some kids' mouths were generally clean and I was just happy that the parents were aware enough to be trying their best to take care of their child's health. Other kids had calculus build-up like I've only seen so far on my Class II patients, and it took awhile to clean them--and the entire time I was trying to keep their spirits up but also educate them on how very, very, very important it is to keep these teeth clean or they will have all sorts of problems that cost lots to fix. I got some practice in on doing sealants---12 on one kid!!!! So that was a great day.

I then drove to Logan and got a great hello from.....a bunch of kids in the kitchen. It was very loving, but a little mysterious that no adults were around!!!! They came out of hiding eventually :). Sunday I spent partying with family and on Monday mom spoiled me rotten and I met up with two of my high school buddies, Meagan and Holly, for lunch. That was tons of fun to just catch up on life, rewind a little bit, and see how different, or how much the same, things have been in the last two years than we imagined. Mom fed me dinner and I headed home.

After such a wonderful weekend I didn't really like the alarm blaring at 6am, but I did get up and I made it to campus in relative safety, which is saying a lot. Its been snowing like crazy ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!! So they are kicking me out of the library in ten minutes and shutting down campus. It's only four in the afternoon guys! Guys!!?!?!?! HELLO!?!??!?!?!?! Oh well, at least I finished my Stats assignment. I wonder if I'll manage to make it to work.

2 comments:

Aleesha Burke said...

Thanks for coming down Lindsay. I had so much fun and it was so good to see you. I miss you already!!

Unknown said...

As a new parent, I worry about spoiling my children and ending up on an episode of "Super Nanny." I don't want to be the mom in the store who gives in to her screaming child's whining demands by handing over a toy.

Fortunately my children are too young to act like brats just yet, but I have a feeling they will have that ability soon enough. I want them to know that as much as I adore them I also am going to give them limits.
utah dentist