Monday, June 1, 2020

Kids Walks/Kid-isms

This was written over a year ago, but I took the time to write it all out....so I'm just going to post it. With some cute kid-isms at the beginning that make me smile for the memory.

One morning I was helping Molly put the Elena doll dress on her doll and said "Isn't it so great that Santa brought you an Elena doll for Christmas?" and she says "Yeah, I really wished for a real, live unicorn,  but I guess he couldn't."

A fellow walking-kids-to-school-mom told Molly "I really love your beautiful red gown." and the policewoman directing traffic in the middle of the intersection yells over "I look forward every day to see what that girls wearing!" (think black accent, haha!)

On a walk with Will:
"What do snails eat?"
"How long do trees live?"
"It's crazy to see a big adult and a tiny baby and know that they are the same thing. They have to stretch a lot."
"That looks like the baby Jesus star. It looks like the stars are moving. Did you know stars don't actually move? The earth moves it's whole self on an imaginary axis."
"Do iguanas swim in water like fish?"
"It goes like this..."


The other day we had a child who was having a rough day and we knew we needed to add in some one-on-one parent time, so randomly at dinner I said I was going to take the kids on a kids' walk every now and then.

So far, I have taken Will and Molly on a 'kids walk' and it has been phenomenal. I have loved every single minute of it, and hope we are able to keep it up. The differences in our kids when you have them alone and between the two of them, are hilarious to me.

Will was very serious about our walk. I let him pick which direction we turned out of our apartment. Which meant we started out on a really big loop. About half way through we were tired, but turning back would have taken the same amount of time as going forward. We ended up walking two miles---poor kid was exhausted by the end and barely keeping his eyes open! He was very serious about which direction he'd pick to turn. He held my hand very tightly the entire time. He asked me how old were the oldest trees? How big were the biggest trees? What do snails eat? What are the signs with numbers for? (speed limit signs, and now that he knows about them every single time we are going somewhere he yells out "Speed limit 40!" or "Speed limit 45!" and its pretty hilarious). What kind of dog would be a nice dog to have. It just went on and on. I wish I could have recorded our hour and a half conversation. That boy thinks deep. I love him so. I spent the entire walk wanting to scoop him up and hold him close forever.

Molly was very...not serious. She did not walk. She skipped, she danced, she trotted, she floated. And she did not talk, and definitely not about anything serious. She sang and laughed the entire time. "I'm so excited to be on a kid walk mom! Tra la la la la!" I think the closest we came to a conversation was talking about whether or not fairies live in the stars. I told her over and over how happy I was to be on a walk with her and how much I loved her and she'd say "I know mom." and then prance away. She was pure joy and pure enjoyment. I loved every second of it, even if she is totally exasperating!

No comments: