Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Fountain of Information

My mother is amazing. Everything she does is amazing. And yet, I never quite seem to realize just how much practical information she has managed to accrue into her bounds of amazing knowledge. Sterling and I (so basically...me) are in charge of the Valentine's Marrieds dance at the institute, which always includes a dinner beforehand. They told us we had $600 to work with, so I figured we'd spend $450 of that on getting dinner catered, because that is easy for us, a great way to get more people to come, and we'd still have plenty for decorations, etc. Apparently, with the dance a week and a half away, we don't have the funds that they normally have for this dance. And since I am most definitely not my sister Amy, and the thought of cooking for 80 people completely drains me of any energy--yes, just the thought can do that--I called my mother. I told her we had five ovens to use at the institute, and we could all wrap and put potatoes in the oven while finishing decorations, run home and get all pretty, and come back ready for a baked potato bar. But how in the world do you find the information on how much money all the food will cost?? I have to know to present the idea tonight at our meeting. And I don't have a Sam's Club card to go figure it out. And google doesn't seem capable of providing that information. But somehow, my mother knows everything, and can just randomly pull prices out of her head for feeding 80 people. Did I mention she never ceases to amaze me? So now I will be feeding 80 people for under $140 instead of $450. They better be satisfied. Mom even notified me that she is calling a guy in Idaho because she thinks potatoes have been outrageously priced lately and if she gets it for a good deal, she'll grab a 50 lb. box for our activity, to reduce that price for us. Who knows things like that, and people like that? My mother does. It's amazing. I really need to start learning these important life lessons so that I can feed a family of 9 off of nothing while Sterling is still going to medical school for the rest of our lives (yeah, he's thinking about adding in three years during medical school so he graduates with his PhD as well). Thank you, mom.
PS: Had a WIC appt today and weighed three pounds less than at the dr. last week. I texted my little brother for weight-gaining advice.

PPS: They also checked my iron levels and I was perfectly healthy---this is a first since I went to college I think! Yay for prenatals!

No comments: