Saturday, February 26, 2011

My Schedule

Here is Sterling and I at the Hale Center Theatre:Here are the beautiful roses they put on our table at the Melting Pot and we got to take home:Here is a picture of the cute outfit I wore that day (although I didn't take these picture that day) and Sterling was crazy, so there's some funny pictures...and he wouldn't let me take any good ones:And here's a side view at sixteen weeks, not that you can really see anything, but I thought I'd share:
At around Christmas time I had an old high school friend ask me how in the world I stayed busy when I was only subbing a couple of days a week, and what did I do to fill my time? I didn't give a very strong answer, and I think he didn't think I did much at all. And to be honest, at that point in time of December, I was subbing about twice a week, really sick the rest of the time from my first bout of morning sickness with no beautiful anti-nausea prescription, and spent a lot of my time sleeping. Also, December is MAJOR family time and so you spend a lot of your time bouncing back and forth between houses. So no, I wasn't accomplishing much. He kinda sounded mystified. Like...how in the world did you go from someone who was so driven in high school and college, to someone who's okay with working two days a week and then doing nothing?

Looking back at my last week....the church keeps its members very busy. Whether you wanted to be busy or not. The last two weeks I only worked my two days at the perio office I am now permanently at, because the maternity leave I had previously been covering had ended, and the one I start next week...hadn't started yet, obviously. And yet, I feel like I was SO MUCH BUSIER those two weeks of only two days of working, than I had been the last couple weeks of working four days a week.

Sterling and I were jointly in charge of the institute married's dance. Because I am not in school, I feel for all those couples who are, and offered to buy all the food, get it to the activity, do all the financing for the food to make sure we were in our budget, and then helped everyone with set-up, serving, and take-down. It was a lot of time. The next weekend Sterling and I actually got to spend some quality time together (why does it feel like it is getting HARDER AND HARDER to find time to spend with my hubby????) which meant that when we got home, I went straight to working my two days, and both those nights I had visiting teaching appointments, and piano practices for different church activities, and once those were over I fell exhausted into bed, because lets face it, Lindsay as a pregnant girl can not regularly pull 19 hour days like Lindsay as a college girl could. Not even regularly...I just plain need more sleep like that EVERY day.

Once Thursday morning rolled around and I finally didn't work one day...our furnace was broken. We were out of milk. We had no bread. And our laundry was piled so high that you could barely see our bedroom underneath all of it. Called someone to fix the furnace. Put in loads of laundry (which isn't quite as easy to do when you share washers/dryers with the entire apartment as it would be if you have your own), brought Sterling lunch, ran quickly to the grocery store so I would be back in time for the furnace man. While the furnace was being fixed I made bread, made dinner, and made scotcheroos for Sterling, because he had an organic chemistry test that day...and he deserved a treat. And I vacuumed and cleaned our car. It took an hour and a half. It hadn't been vacuumed in WAY TOO LONG. By the time all that was done, I had piles of CLEAN laundry that covered our entire bedroom and needed to be folded. So I left the dishes to fold laundry. And then we had a presidency meeting and married's committee. This is one of my favorite parts of the week because I get to sit by Sterling in class and learn about the gospel (and its not primary, like we are both in for church meetings). But then again, its not ALONE time with Sterling, so although he takes a whole evening off school to always be at married's committee, it creates another problem of trying to find time to go on a date together. Or watch a movie at home together. Or something.

Friday morning I'd like to say I tackled all those dishes....but I didn't do that until today. I actually spent a little time in the morning with my husband. Finally. It felt like it had been forever. And so yesterday I got a bunch of other little things done, like finances. With a husband trying really hard to do well to get into medical school, I do the things like finances, our taxes, figuring out WIC, Medicaid (why do they send things every month?), what our budget will be, and how we are going to pay for my maternity leave. I may only work two days a week (although more usually three-four) but I bring in the vast majority of our budget. Then I babysat for my sister all afternoon. It was nice. Nice to not be in my little apartment. Nice to play with a little baby and get really excited to have one of my own. Nice to play games with my nephew. Nice to watch Secretariat with all of them, and even though I told them several times I DIDN'T want to know what was going to happen, all of them told me several times exactly what was going to happen. Haahaa.

This morning(Saturday) I played for a Relief Society activity, which took MUCH longer than I had anticipated...finally got around to those dishes...put away clothes that hadn't been dried in the dryer so they were hanging in our second bedroom. Wiped off counters in the bathroom, and now I should vacuum and sweep, but instead I wanted to blog about how your time seems to fill up...and then I am going with Sterling really quick to his nephews(twins) 3rd birthday party before he has to go to work. Then I might actually have time to do the things I THINK I'll have time to do all week....like read my scriptures, catch up in my journal, finally finish our wedding photo album, going to the temple, figuring out how to watch sales and plan meals and use coupons to save us money on our food and have meals every night that are cheap, knitting stockings...etc, etc, etc. AND THEN I'm going to sit here and get REALLY excited for MONDAY MORNING when we find out the gender of our baby!

Oh yeah, and mix in throwing up about four times in the last few days because I'm trying to not take my anti-nausea prescription. And working out our schedule so that we can still manage having one vehicle with all of our crazy schedules. And practicing this really hard song that I am playing to accompany a violin solo on Sunday. And the fact that I eat EVERY HALF HOUR...or at least it seems like that! I am always trying to find something to eat, and trying to prepare something so I can take food with me wherever I'm going. It takes a lot of time to constantly be eating! And next week I go back to working three days???

So no, I don't think I'm busy like a mother of five is busy, or like a working college student is busy, or like my mom busy(she's just crazy like that). But I definitely don't think I do NOTHING all day...which is how I felt when I was talking to this friend. Hmph. I feel better now. Not that anyone wanted to read any of this. But whatever.

1 comment:

Kayli said...

You are so cute!
And busy. And I'm a mother of five and I'm not a tenth as busy as you are. (I have an idea for you--move to a country where you don't speak the language, and suddenly you'll feel a lot less busy.)