Friday, November 16, 2012

24 Years of Life

Ever since I started the dental hygiene program, I have kinda thought it would be nice to look older. I didn't think about it constantly or worry about it, but just thought it might be nice if I DIDN'T look like a 12 year old in college (the fact that I had braces certainly didn't help). I've felt the same way in the work place. I work at a perio office. Which means I mostly see patients who are 50+ years old. Every time I see a patient for the first time, I spend five minutes explaining that while I may LOOK like a teenager, I did in fact spend four years of my life in school, I did receive a bachelors degree in this profession, and I do in fact know what I am doing. (And yes, that baby in the picture frame IS mine. I am married. True story.)...the old ladies continue to eye me skeptically the entire appointment, the old men seem just fine. Haahaa.

Lately, Sterling and I have been talking about what we have accomplished in our years of life. Sterling was worried that he hasn't accomplished that much. To which I had to act duly miffed because, obviously, marrying me is the BEST accomplishment of his ENTIRE EXISTENCE. Just sayin' (that was for you Kayli).

We have a new assistant at the office I work at. And today she overheard a conversation that was kinda about me having a baby and my age(long story). So she asked me how old I was. I said 23. She was floored. Flabber-gasted. Absolutely astounded. "I thought you were AT LEAST 27!!!!!" is what she said. SERIOUSLY??? REALLY???? And in that moment I realized, I kinda like looking like I'm 12. The number 27 sounds much, much, MUCH too close for comfort. Okay, maybe not twelve, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

I disagree with Sterling though, about not accomplishing very much. He's worked incredibly hard, and is almost ready to get a bachelors in three areas and be off to medical school! Besides, half the things on my list would be on his list too:

A bachelors degree
Two years of experience as a dental hygienist (and counting)
A baby GIRL
By my 24th birthday (my due date) a baby BOY
An eternal marriage

In no particular order, I think of these as my greatest achievements so far. I am very, very happy. It was a LOT to fit into just a couple of years. Lots of my friends have fit in more education, or more life experiences, or other things.  But I think it's been the best life for me. Now, if anyone can give me any tips on how to SLOW DOWN this crazy ride, that would be nice. I mean, really, I was just BARELY in HIGH SCHOOL folks, and now I'm supposed to be having baby #2? And since when is Ruth old enough to jabber and play and run around on her own? She's supposed to be my baby forever. I'll check back with you in another 23 years and give you the low-down of my life then. :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

With your new haircut I would put you around 19/20. Kinda is not a word.

Loved watching Ruth ride the blue dog this morning and wander around looking a little scared of my crazy boys. Makes me excited for you to have a boy. Totally different species.

Yes, it is okay for me to write in incomplete sentences while it is NOT OKAY for you to use the non-word "kinda." I say so.

The Haws Family said...

I think I kinda over-used it in this post anyway. But I COULD start annoying you with it, just sayin'. HAAHAAAHAAA