Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Favorite Things+Pampering Myself

Let's clear the air from the very beginning--I am not a make-up wearer. All the make-up I've ever owned could zip up in one tiny make-up bag and I call it good. But with my last pregnancy I started having allergic reactions to make-up. Awesome. I have never really searched out what options I have that worked, beyond a splurge on eye shadow from Clinique because I knew it was supposedly fragrance free, non-whatever that is supposed to be good. And it worked. But this pregnancy my skin has been acting up again, and my eyes and lips never actually recovered from last pregnancy--I stayed allergic. But make-up is expensive, especially the kinds that my skin won't freak out over, so I keep putting it off.

This pregnancy might kill me. Haha. I think part of the problem is that I am so tired I don't feel good at anything. I'm not one of those people who feel like I'm not a good mom. But when I think of the things that I feel make me a good mom--I list off things like playing outside, walking with them every morning to school and chatting, swimming, going to the beach, playing football at the park, racing them around, tickling them. I know that I am not the most patient mom, and I am always trying to work on that, but I try to offset it by enjoying time with them and giving them those good memories as well. But because I am so tired I feel like I don't do any of those things right now. Sure, I've taken them to the pool. Where I sit. Or to the park, where I also sit. You get the picture. It's been a little depressing to my psyche.

So what else do you do to improve your sense of self than go spend some money!??! Bahaha. I took myself to Nordstrom and tried on a zillion make-up things. Which was actually really fun. I'd recommend it. Even if you don't really consider yourself a make-up girl. And then I bought myself some real brushes. And I LOVE them. Guys, get yourself a BIG eyeshadow brush. Anyway, I got myself a handful of things (that could fit in a tiny zipper pouch) mostly based off a blogger's recommendations who said she had problems with her skin and these were the best products to use. Before I bought them I facetimed with my AMAZING good friend Chantelle in Utah, who right out of high school did aesthetician school. I asked her what she thought and she said "If I had all the money in the world, that is exactly what I would recommend. It's what I always hope someday I can buy. And if you do buy it, it does last forever." I didn't get an entire line--but the blogger had what she referenced as "five minute make-up routine" and guys. When you have really nice makeup, and really nice brushes, you really can put on makeup in five minutes and feel really great about it all day.

To be fair, Sterling didn't notice a difference. I noticed a major difference in amount of time for application in the morning---instead of using some goopy cheap nonsense to cover one tiny red spot, and trying to use lotion to cover up the dryness by my eyes caused by the last time I wore makeup that made my skin react, etc, etc, I was easily and smoothly applying it in seconds and it stayed and it looked nice. I also think it looks worlds better--more natural, less effort for maximum effect.

I also bought more than one color of lipstick. I've only ever owned one color at a time, and I always got dark and bold because that is what I like to wear on dates or Sunday. But then I felt like I couldn't wear it any other time because it was too much. I got a bold, a medium, and a neutral. I can't believe how much I like putting on that neutral every morning and feeling so pretty! Haha!

Beyond that, I've started using gym time for scripture study. And I'm hoping with all my heart that my kids forget how tired and grumpy I will probably be for the next two months and probably the six postpartum months after that...and that I'll bounce back and be able to be the energetic and active mom that I like to be. In the meantime, any good book recommendations? I feel like they are so few and far between lately!

1 comment:

Kayli said...

This post is no good. No talking about makeup without posting a picture, DUH!!!!