Thursday, October 18, 2018

Libraries + Scooters

 We love the Delray Beach Library! They have fantastic programs and last week we were able to fill two afternoons with really great story times. The first was firemen reading books on fire safety. The kids got hats and coloring books and loved every minute of it!






 The next day the Green Cay Nature Center came and presented on snake and spiders. We got to meet a spider and feel a snake. Or, my kids did, I did not participate. They thought it was awesome. The presenters were FABULOUS and so great with kids! They were very energized and hilarious and just had a great system worked out. Then they got to make spiders, which was such an easy and fun kids craft--very well done. Again, the kids LOVED it!



 A couple of weeks ago I found some scooters on clearance for under $10 and set up a system with the kids to earn them with tickets. The system was already in place--this was just solidifying it. I thought it was a good opportunity to try and reduce the amount of time in the before-school and after-school processes that I am redirecting them towards what they should be doing. 'Please go put on your shoes' five billion times was getting old. I thought earning tickets might help establish these routines better so there was less angst. It definitely was motivating. The kids have definitely learned the drill. It wasn't magical--there is still a lot of directing at times. But they worked REALLY hard to earn those 10 tickets and hand them in to me for a scooter, and I am very impressed! I also learned that vacuuming and dishes can be added to chore rotations because I was totally underselling my kids and they can do a lot more in the chore department! Not having to fold laundry has been a big upside too.

 Her tie dye shirt and flouncy skirt and heart boots (she was just given them by Ruth's friend and wears them everywhere) and those piggy buns were just KILLING me all afternoon long. Can we please freeze you forever Molly?!?!


Yay for earning scooters! They've ridden them to and from school in the two days since and Molly's legs need to build up some endurance but I have been hugely impressed with how fast Ruth and Will zoom to school! And just in time for the fall cooler weather that I'm hoping shows up soon!

No comments: