Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mcat and Move

Before I forget to share this tender mercy, I'm going to type it up real quick:

Sterling was taking the mcat at 8am in SLC on Saturday morning this past weekend. Friday night/early Saturday morning was REALLY stormy and rainy and we lost power several times. Only I had no idea...I was sleeping. Until about 4 am when I woke up (gotta love pregnancy, have to use the bathroom) and Sterling was awake and he said that our power was out, and that the storm had woken him up. He was very, very thankful because we had only set our alarm - the one that plugs into the wall. By waking up, he noticed the power and set his phone alarm, so he could wake up and make it to the test on time. Not that he should've worried, he never really slept much the rest of that morning anyway. Haahaa. On another happy note: Sterling felt GREAT about the mcat, which means that even though we have 30 days to wait to see what he actually got, he can enjoy those 30 days blissfully unaware.

After a grueling day of a five hour test, we spent the rest of the day packing. It was intense. On Monday a TON of family helped us move (very different from our last move, where only dad and mom came with their trailer, and everyone else that came was friends) and a LOT of little people (8 and under crowd). It meant for some sticky fingers, but they did great. Unlike my brother Ethan who broke our recliner chair (he said it was junk, but really, we can't afford any more junk like it, so its gotta last) and scratched our piano in several places, as well as the railing in our old apartment that we now have to fix. I can't blame him TOO much though, because the fact that he, and my cousin Clay, even GOT the piano out of that basement was an incredible feat (like unto Chuck Norris-status), and I am forever thankful ( I was going to say that I was forever in their debt, but Ethan might take that a little too literally if he ever happened to read this). It was the fasting moving experience ever. It took an hour and a half. To load AND unload. It helped that Megan drove a truck, Clay brought a trailer, and dad had his horse trailer, so kids just took things wherever, and didn't have to worry too much about tight packing.

Since we were finished unloading by 11am we had a nice long day to unpack. By about the time I finished cleaning our old apartment I was already beat. I did last long enough to unpack the kitchen. Sterling was an energizer bunny and got our crib set up, the washer and dryer working, the internet up and running, and several other little things put together. (The internet guy was here FOREVER cause he had to replace a wire that he said was too old on the telephone pole.) I feel like I can walk around this place nicely now, with only a few boxes around.

Today we made a Sam's Club run and like after every Sam's run, I feel like we could weather a 6 month blizzard successfully now. We have the tub of hot chocolate mix to prove it, haahaa.

Mostly, this past weekend we have been INCREDIBLY blessed with lots of helping hands, a BEAUTIFUL new house to live in that I still cannot believe is ours, and the wonderful feeling that the mcat is over.

PS Sterling and I still walk around the house saying things like "Hey, did you realize we have a GARBAGE DISPOSAL???" and "We have a GARAGE DOOR OPENER! I feel like we are all grown up!" and "Did you see how much room this closet has?" The best feeling EVER was the first night, I snuck about 10 minutes to soak in the tub. Did ya hear that?!?! We have a tub. Ah, that sentence is delicious. We have a tub. Have a nice night!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Ahhhhh........

My heart was racing as I read the first part of your post. It sure takes me back to all those moves we had. I could totally relate to all those things you wrote about...and the feelings you felt in between the lines.

And then at the end I breathed a sigh of relief for you, as you mentioned a well deserved soak in a tub. That is AWESOME!

Enjoy your new home. Home sweet home.