Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paint the World Red


I am not a crafter. I do not enjoy most crafts, and I told Sterling that buying things already made to beautify my house is much more enjoyable to me than taking all this time and trying to do something that usually just frustrates me. 

Until now.

We got these nice, sturdy book shelves for free from a lady that was moving in my sister's ward. My sister gave us a call, and we definitely said we wanted them (I have a feeling we could take 4 more of these bookshelves and still not be able to nicely stack all my books. They usually end up stuffed into every nook and cranny in every direction.). When I saw them up close I realized how weathered and old-looking the wood was. Almost all of the finish was worn off. Which made sanding them REALLY easy. 



From the very first brush stroke, I fell in love. In love with red. (oh wait, I think I've had a romance with red for quite a while. Most people, I suppose, would call it an obsession.) In love with books and the wonderful shelves that would hold them. And I got an incredible, insatiable urge to paint EVERYTHING red. The walls, our kitchen table, wouldn't everything look better in RED? Someday, when we are not renters, a much larger portion of our house will be red. It is just the best, most heartwarming, vibrant, glorious, beautiful, inviting color invented. It makes me so happy for color in this world. The guy at Home Depot said to wait 2-3 weeks before putting books on the paint because it dries outside-in, and the books depress into it. But these lovelies will be storing my extensive collection sometime soon(along with two other dilapidated book shelves that I've been carting around since college, and if I didn't have to sand them, they'd probably be red at this point too). Oh, how I love them.
 

This picture is a little more true to color.

And I've decided that maybe not all crafts are that bad, after all.