Monday, October 22, 2012

So I Remember...

This weekend when we had our awesome fall break in Logan, Ruth finished getting all four of her canines, and two more molars. Which means she has two molars on the left side of her mouth, and one on the right. SEVEN TEETH in the last couple weeks. Now I'm just hoping the other molar comes in quickly (I'm pretty sure its almost there) and we can take a nice LONG break from teething. We like to take big steps, like EIGHT teeth at a time, instead of, ya know, the normal two. Haahaa.

Today Ruth was kinda fussy. I laid her down for two naps, which isn't completely uncommon, but kind of out of the norm. When she woke up from her second nap I figured we had enough time to get groceries before we had to pick Sterling up from work. Ruth was pretty clingy...but she's been that way a little bit lately with teething, so I didn't think too much of it. Until we were standing in the middle of an aisle, she made a noise, I held out my hands, and she puked. And again. And again. Until I was very worried because my hands were starting to be too full to hold any more. I had no idea what to do. Being the great mom that I am, my daughter was not strapped into the cart, so I couldn't leave. But since my hands were cupping throw up, I couldn't really push the cart anywhere. I asked one lady to ask a worker for wipes or something...but she seemed a little out of her zone. LUCKILY, a very wonderful, amazing, loving, AWESOME lady took one look at my hands, ran and got paper towels (which barely even soaked in a tenth of what was in my hands) ran back for more, and for a bag to put all the contents into, and stayed until my hands were sufficiently free to get wet wipes out of the diaper bag (which luckily I had brought in, because I don't always carry it on errands if I know its going to be quick). I love that lady. Then I peeled Ruth's jacket off, which got rid of most of the extra stuff. Then I went to the bathroom. Only you can't take a cart and merchandise into the bathroom. And I didn't want to carry all my belongings in with me and deal with holding all of it and leave the cart out. So I just considered wet wipes decent, paid for the apples and bananas that were the only things in my cart, and tried not to throw up on the way home with the smell filling up the car.

Ruth continued to throw up apple juice three times tonight, but after an hour laying on my lap watching netflix she fell asleep and so far so good. I'm just sitting here constructing the world's worst horror stories for what lies ahead tonight. Although I'm not even sure throw up is as bad as some of Amy's stories of Chad pulling off his diaper in the middle of the night and subsequent happenings. I just hope I don't have to change sheets more than once, I only have two sets.

And that is the wonderful events I wanted to remember for Ruth's sake. Or my own sake. Or just to feel like I have covered a new step in motherhood. Ruth's first sickness that was more than baby spit-up (which might've happened all of 3 times, she never really did spit up). And it was at a store, no less. And I survived. Luckily. Because of a really, really, really nice lady. So, thanks nice lady for helping me survive a new phase of motherhood. I hope I see you again soon when I have another problem that's a little too much for me, by myself.

3 comments:

Kayli said...

Just put a towel down for her to sleep on, especially if you only have two sets of sheets.

Sara said...

What an awesome person. Hopefully she slept well! Poor Ruthie, being sick is no fun! :(

Andrea said...

Sorry we gave you the flu. Harriet threw up three times on Saturday but I thought she was better enough by Tuesday to take her to your house. I am sick, sick today but none of the rest of my kids have caught it yet. Well, Cowen threw up once on Saturday but we thought it was mostly overindulgence at the Halloween party.

Poor Ruth. Throw up when they are that young is never that bad. You'll be fine.