Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Clinic Dyslexia

Today was going...rough. We had a new instrument---the Barnhart---and between that and my typodont's cheeks life was just difficult. Prof. C came over and instructed me personally for about five minutes, and the mud seemed to clear a little. I was mostly having problems doing the first line angle of the tooth and fulcruming(my finger wouldn't stay straight for some odd reason, it felt like it was completely unconnected to my hand!) at the same time, once I turned the instrument to do the rest of the tooth I was fine. I did a lingual molar perfectly---then when she walked away I switched to another tooth. Bad idea, I couldn't figure it out again. So, Kiersten, one of the instructors, came over and instructed me individually again for about five minutes---suddenly a light clicked, and I was doing great. That is, as long as I remembered my posture, where my mirror was, how to fulcrum, not to hurt my patient---and I actually felt some CEJ on Pam! Yay!
Then Kelsie worked on me, because they are realizing how much poor Pam has had to work on my braces. Kelsie was completely opposite of me, she had had no problems on the typodont, but was having a few on the real teeth. Kiersten came over to lend a hand---and between the two hands their lateral pressure was a LITTLE heavy....I moved Kelsie's hand, she apologized, and when I opened my mouth again she exclaims "There's blood everywhere!" Yeah...thanks, I noticed. Haahaa. Not her fault, there were a LOT of hands in my mouth, and it's always awkward to place instruments when someone's hand is around yours. So then she was frustrated and I felt bad---I don't blame ya Kelsie!
Then, we had to pass off our instrument PE---knowing exactly what part of the instrument is called what, how to identify whether it is non-rigid or rigid, anterior or posterior, subgingival or supragingival. I thought I had this one down no problem. Until I was diagnosed with dyslexia from Prof C. I mixed up sub and supra and tip and toe EVERY SINGLE TIME I had to say them---so frustrating because I really did know what I was talking about! I didn't know whether to laugh at myself or cry. I thought Prof C wouldn't pass me off---but she DID! She wrote a note on the bottom saying 'we all have dyslexia days'. So sweet.
So all in all, not a terrible day, definitely a learning day...and now I have to go study for and take an anatomy test. Have a lovely day one and all.

Oh and PS I borrowed Prof C's loupes today and they are AWESOME! I would have to take out a student loan to buy some of my own, but when I was using them I had no posture problems, felt like I could see completely in the back of the mouth, and it wasn't so hard to get light where I needed it. I really really want some---I don't know how I'm gonna swing it though!

No comments: