Sunday, September 9, 2018

Back To School FEAST 18-19

Since we started school the very morning after arriving back in Florida, we did our Back to School Feast on Saturday (Sterling worked on Sunday). I was pretty worn out from unpacking, doing laundry, getting into the school routine and new time zone , etc. So instead of a feast and lots of cute decorations---we had KFC at the beach. And it was golden. I mean, it might be the very last back to school feast we ever have in Florida, so it is only fitting that it be at the beach. It was raining the entire drive there. Raining while we went through the drive through. Sterling kept saying "Do you still want me to head there?" and I kept saying--yes! It's Florida! Rain only lasts twenty minutes! And luckily for us, it stopped right as we got there. So it was overcast and pretty wavy, but we had a grand time.

Our theme for 2018-2019

The family is strengthened as we draw near to the Lord, and each member of the family is strengthened as we lift and strengthen and love and care for one another. "Thee lift me and I'll lift thee, and we'll ascend together." (from the Marriage and Family Relations book). Along with the scripture Doctrine and Covenants 81:5 Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.
 I thought this theme *might* be a little old and tricky for my kids, but I thought that for our last theme and a month or so in of FHE lessons and talking about it, they all seemed to understand perfectly. So rather than underestimate, I figured we'd reach. Plus, Sterling and I have been really trying to think of a family theme for FOREVER for our family. Something we can frame (I actually know exactly how I want it for our wall it is just way too pricey for a med school budget haha) and have forever and ever that our kids always remember. That theme will be Lift and Love. Something we can always remind them with a simple "Hey, we're Haws. We lift and love!" and use regularly and easily throughout their day and mindset. I've read a lot about themes in parenting books and having a family theme/motto was something that really caught my attention because there is a lot of research to back it up. Kids who have very grounded but SIMPLISTIC rules that are regularly referred to feel like they have set boundaries--which are HUGELY important to them. I've read it in parenting books as well as church books. One of my favorite parenting bloggers 71toes.com has a family theme and talks extensively about it and references a lot of places that back it up with research. What Sterling and I love about "Lift and Love" is that it seems to encompass everything. I wanted "Thee Lift me and I'll lift thee and we'll ascend together" but he thought that was a little wordy, and I agree. I also kinda wanted to add "Lift, love and look to God and Live." but after a lot of talking (and listening to my sister Kayli tell me about a podcast by Hank R. Smith), I thought I would leave the actual word God out of it---because we know that God is love. It's unnecessary and if we ever have children who are struggling with a testimony, we still want them very much included in our family and to still feel all of the love. Eventually, we hope that they would realize how encompassing God's love is, but since that is such a truth--it's unnecessary to actually have the words in our theme.We can still talk about it in reference to God all of the time. So we kept it sweet and simple. Because I truly think that if you are trying your best to lift others' and see the love around you, to love others, to understand that others love you--that is the most important thing to know in this life. Several recent conference talks--I mean, the entire institution of ministering--is so focused on love. How important it is to know God loves us! To know that we can show love to those around us! To give service! To ask for love and service! To love God with all of our heart, might, and mind!  The other quote we have up this year ends with "The first great truth of all eternity is that God loves US with all of HIS heart, might, mind, and strength. That love is the foundation stone of eternity, and it should be the foundation stone of our daily life." There's just SOOOOO many things about those two tiny words that I love.

Because of ALL of this thought and effort and work, we wanted to introduce "lift and love" while they are young so we can talk about it for all the years to come. And I still love it just as much. We've been focusing so far on "lifting" and how that pertains to helping others feel better, in our home and at school.















We had a rocky start to sibling love that day. It has been a little bit more rough of a transition to school (specifically Kindergarten) and the time change that I had hoped. But after a little bit, the ocean won them over and they were all playing SO WELL together. We had to leave soon for bedtime, but I was so grateful for that snippet of family sunshine.





We came home and had homemade chocolate shakes with ALL the toppings.



He was a big fan, albeit exhausted.
We also had Father's Blessings before shakes. One thing I have started doing is recording them on my phone and then typing them up. I have a really poor auditory memory, and this has been such a special thing the last few times. I am so grateful for the insight and help for guiding my family that we are able to receive through these blessings.

I would love to spend more time proofreading and getting all my thoughts in order, and trying harder to get the spirit across that gain through this tradition and maybe someday I'll come back to this. But for now, at least it's recorded. :)

No comments: