Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Best Friend

In my life there have been a lot of girls and women who have been very influential. My mom, for one, is the most amazing person I have ever met and has taught me how to be my very best in everything I do. Without my mother I would be a mere pittance of what you see today(in looks and brains, if you asked my dad). My older sisters, who are super examples of all aspects of personalities and talents and I learn from them and love them so much. But there is one woman who holds an especially tender spot in my heart because we shared the rough teenage years, all the ponderings of our hearts, and all the puzzles of our souls together---I don't think anybody has ever understood me as clearly or been at the exact same level of life so completely as my best friend Aleesha. Today is Aleesha's birthday--HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!---and I just wanted to review some of the great experiences in life that I have had with her:
*Stealing out of our dorms at Youth Conference past curfew to have a truly testimony-building and spiritual experience.(serious!)
*She gave me foot rubs when I thought my feet were so sore they were going to fall off. It was heavenly. I will never forget how grateful I was that she would touch my feet!
*many, many, MANY long walks around the mountains of Uintah while having long, long, LONG talks about LIFE
*driving through Seattle as two teenage girls who had never tried to use a map, never been to Seattle, and NEVER seen that many one-way roads!!!! (that constituted much screaming and extra driving!)
*Many good cries when life starts to filter in to the fantasy world of childhood
*ROAD TRIP to Zions Nat'l Park, which is probably ranked as one of the top weekends of my existence
*doubling on a bike. Need I say more?
*making shakes---we are connoisseurs, if you need a shake with anything in it from jello mix to jam, just let us know!
*moving in high school---thats an experience that spanned many long phone calls, and I'm glad that we shared the experience together(if 500 miles apart)
*becoming me. I think Aleesha was instrumental in me being completely satisfied with me.
*Driving--remember early mornings in driver's ed? and the first time we drove to Wendy's without parentals??
*Boys---dating, dating, and dating. The highlights, lowlights, and fun nights of high school and college.
*planning a Girls Camp together---it was AWESOME!
*Softball--we went undefeated!
*Anne of Green Gables and My Fair Lady (at 4AM) takes on a whole new meaning when referencing Aleesha
*singing at the piano (I love how much she appreciates music, its nice to have someone listen to your hard work--remember the night of note cards?!?!?!)
*Bus rides--Angels Among Us (we had a sweet bus driver who used to specifically play that song so we could sing along before I had to get off---the whole back of the bus would start singing!)
*Braids---thanks for all the times you've braided my hair girlie!
*Brothers--I definitely think there's a reason our brothers are the same age! :)
*OYA. There is so much jam-packed into those three letters.
*Issues-there is so much in the world right now that we have to be on top of, understand, vote about, and make decisions on what our views are-we have LONG discussions
*Aleesha's grandma gives me hugs when she sees me at JC Penney. That means something.
*There is much, much more---but Aleesha is definitely my hero!
*DON'T BIFF IT!

Aleesha is the most understanding person I know. She's a listener. I think it takes special talent to be a good listener, one that I am not blessed with, so I have learned to highly appreciate it(and hopefully it serves in reminding myself to be a little better). She is always accepting. New ideas, new people, new beliefs--she may not accept them for herself, but she will accept it as something to consider and never throws it out without careful thought. She is artistic--sometimes, there are things in life that I just know Aleesha will appreciate more than the average person, and that makes me appreciate it as well. Aleesha is strong and happy and determined--and I love her! Thanks for sharing the best times of my life!

PS Remember how I walked you smack into a pole??? Ya. Good times. :)

2 comments:

Aleesha Burke said...

Thank you so much best friend. I love you too.

By the way, I ran into a pole on Friday, but that was my own fault.

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Aleesha!!!! We miss you, maybe you two should come and visit us so you can babysit, just for old times sake!!!! We love you guys!